Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The advent of work

Been slowly getting back into the groove of regular (for now) schedules and thinking again, after my 5 month hiatus, followed by a month of lovely travel and pure absorption of sights and sounds.

For the last 2 weeks (we just had the 3rd lab meeting - and I finally got to try Krispy Kreme doughnuts which taste like regular doughnuts to me - since getting here, marking this to be the 4th week I've been here), I've been running sponge feeding assays on fish and hoping I won't end up killing all of them accidentally. I've also been thinking about my project though have not done as much as I would like to have so far since all the minute details of settling in have been driving me to distraction, and I've been having trouble focussing on any tasks for any length of time. It's good to occasionally sit down and write as it helps me to think better.

School-wise, I've been hanging in limbo. Other than a couple of notices about when the orientations are going to be, nothing has arrived, so I presume I'll get my student ID, and be told about fees and stuff like that during orientation week.

One thing that scares the shit out of me is the prospect of teaching. I've never taught a big class before, or tried teaching anything above the secondary school level. I'll be on a TA-ship for the first semester, at least, so I'll definitely have to teach, even if schedules or what I'm going to teach is not known yet. Probably an intro level general biology course. And I'm not entirely sure I am prepared to teach JC-uni level biology. While cramming for the GREs, I realised how much of the little details I've forgotten. So I guess it will be back to the working board for me, and they say you don't really know something until you can teach it, so it will be a good experience for me. Monkey has set up a teaching blog of her own and it will be fun to compare notes.

Heh. Am really not sure I'm up for the crazy schedule of uni life again. But it will be loads of fun. Or at least, that's what I keep telling myself...

2 Comments:

Blogger Sivasothi said...

Alright! Looking forward to your work accounts too.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Monkey said...

haha wai it's not really a teaching blog! it is also meant to record my thesis thoughts :) I finally decide on a topic! See the blog for updates. But pending my supervisor's opinions of course. sigh. im not really 100% pleased with it yet actually

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home