Insurance tip for future reference
Got a marginally better deal after calling the same insurance company again and asking for a new quote from a different person. Insurance coverage and premiums seem pretty standard across the board, ranging from $1200-$1400 for the basic cover for new drivers.
However I lucked out and managed to get someone who thought of taking my prior driving experience into account, despite me having asked and been denied this option elsewhere. The same lady offered up the form I would need for my NC drivers licence application without my asking when I went to pick up the policy, and allowed me to fax the bill of sale to her after the transaction so I wouldn't have to run around. So now i'm paying $850 for 6 months as opposed to $1200.
Moral of the story? It's not the insurance provider or company, but the agent that makes the difference. I've found a lovely understanding person with initiative and I'm going to stick with her... :)
Oddly enough (or maybe not so odd), I haven't met quite as many of such people in the service industry in Singapore. Somehow all the smart, enterprising folk I know end up doing other things. Makes one wonder if the difference is in the employer's choice or the employee's decision to get work in other areas... Is it a mindset? Is service considered such a dead end job that only deadbeats who are not much better than robots take it up?
However I lucked out and managed to get someone who thought of taking my prior driving experience into account, despite me having asked and been denied this option elsewhere. The same lady offered up the form I would need for my NC drivers licence application without my asking when I went to pick up the policy, and allowed me to fax the bill of sale to her after the transaction so I wouldn't have to run around. So now i'm paying $850 for 6 months as opposed to $1200.
Moral of the story? It's not the insurance provider or company, but the agent that makes the difference. I've found a lovely understanding person with initiative and I'm going to stick with her... :)
Oddly enough (or maybe not so odd), I haven't met quite as many of such people in the service industry in Singapore. Somehow all the smart, enterprising folk I know end up doing other things. Makes one wonder if the difference is in the employer's choice or the employee's decision to get work in other areas... Is it a mindset? Is service considered such a dead end job that only deadbeats who are not much better than robots take it up?



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home