Backdated update 3: Bahamas Blast
The Bahamas was a blast, between the gruelling dive schedule and work dives there was just enough time to soak in some sun, enjoy a pristine white powdery beach, explore the wonders of the blue blue sea, encounter some bizarre new fauna, and even get a brilliant overview of ongoing research in sponges...
Didn't really get much time or energy to take or edit photos, but here are my submissions for the mini photo contest we had on board...

The Pinnacle - essentially a huge rock that rises 20m from the seafloor

Odd crab

Bubble rings

A ubiquitous corallivorous snail called the Flamingo's Tongue
Skittish Blenny

Hypselodoris nyalya? - Another ubiquitous mollusc, the only nudibranch I saw, and it was spotted everywhere.

Spongebob

Worm

Most of these anemones have some sort of interesting shrimp in the vicinity

Cleaner shrimp seem to be everywhere on the reef

Pretty colours

Conch

Barracuda

Believe it or not, the Humann guide IDs this fish as a Blenny
More blenny shots - spent a lot of time looking at these colourful guys for 2 reasons: they were by far the most colourful and apparent denizens, and we were also scouring around for gobies...

Cleaning station

Vain hawksbill

Monster fish
Finally, a goby! Isn't it cute? :)
Have to admit that I was pretty disorientated by the endless bottom of sand interspersed by rocks on which octocorals and sponges flourish. Never had to use my compass so much before...
I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but in many places, the hard bottom was engulfed in a sea of macroalgae. It's hard for me to imagine what these reefs would have been like in the past, but ending off on a sober note, it sure wasn't the underwater paradise I'd heard all about before...more signs of human impact?
Didn't really get much time or energy to take or edit photos, but here are my submissions for the mini photo contest we had on board...
The Pinnacle - essentially a huge rock that rises 20m from the seafloor
Odd crab

Bubble rings
A ubiquitous corallivorous snail called the Flamingo's Tongue
Skittish Blenny

Hypselodoris nyalya? - Another ubiquitous mollusc, the only nudibranch I saw, and it was spotted everywhere.

Spongebob

Worm

Most of these anemones have some sort of interesting shrimp in the vicinity

Cleaner shrimp seem to be everywhere on the reef

Pretty colours
Conch
Barracuda

Believe it or not, the Humann guide IDs this fish as a Blenny
More blenny shots - spent a lot of time looking at these colourful guys for 2 reasons: they were by far the most colourful and apparent denizens, and we were also scouring around for gobies...

Cleaning station
Vain hawksbill

Monster fish
Finally, a goby! Isn't it cute? :)
Have to admit that I was pretty disorientated by the endless bottom of sand interspersed by rocks on which octocorals and sponges flourish. Never had to use my compass so much before...
I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but in many places, the hard bottom was engulfed in a sea of macroalgae. It's hard for me to imagine what these reefs would have been like in the past, but ending off on a sober note, it sure wasn't the underwater paradise I'd heard all about before...more signs of human impact?



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home