Saturday, July 21, 2007

Pleasant encounter

Had a pretty weird but pleasant encounter today, that turned a dreary day into a rather cool one.

What happened was that I had a few hours to kill after sending my car into the shop for an oil change and the tyres balanced, as they said there were people in the queue before me. So since I was already halfway down Market Street, and the weather was cloudy and perfect after yesterday's broil followed by torrential rain, I decided to walk downtown to the river where they have a farmer's market every saturday morning. Passed by a number of really nice buildings and neighbourhoods along the way, including the 3rd court house put up here over 100 years ago according to the nice lady at the visitor's information centre located inside, where I finally managed to pick up a map of the city, along with a number of brochures about Wilmington, it's buildings, happenings and surroundings. Saw some lovely herbs in pots at the farmer's market, which I would love to get my hands on once we move to Tesla, where we will have a balcony on which to grow them!

On the way back, I crossed paths with a nice lady, her son and their dog who were out for a walk too (rare in these parts where everyone drives everywhere and there is no sidewalk for stretches), and I ended up walking with them and chatting for quite a distance as they were going the same way, back towards their home. They ended up giving me a ride back to my car from their home near 18th St to the Meineke Auto Shop, saving me quite a walk back, and I later tagged along to Target, and then Harris Teeter where I picked up some wine and cherries for tomorrow evening's gathering at a Malaysian lady's home (yea another new person to meet!). So we exchanged numbers and I've agreed to join in for one of the next runs of the local Hash House Harriers which she is a member of (not tomorrow's though as I already have a dinner appointment). This comes at a perfect timing since I was planning to find a recreational activity that allows me to work out a bit.

So yay got to meet one more cool person in town, and I guess this week has been a lovely one for meeting people around here. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home