Monday, February 26, 2007

Mooncup - a review

I finally managed to try the mooncup and was wondering about whether to blog about it on the web, but finally decided to, since I feel that the product is well worth any sort of publicity it can get. As this is my personal blog, it's up to my readers whether they want to continue reading this post or not. Like Monkey mentioned a couple months back with her first experience, it's sort of like an epiphany, the thought of finally being free of the consumeristic chains, of having to constantly buy sanitary products that eventually end up in landfills.

It was quite a rocky experience at first but with some persistence, patience, and help from the helpsites, it finally worked, and better than I imagined. Don't want to freak anyone out with the intimate details, as I realised the other day that not everyone is as unsqueamish or matter-of-fact about such things as most of my biology mates and other more progressive female friends, so I won't post up the gory details here (yes it can get quite messy). But do feel free to ask me about it directly.

Suffice to say that the thing was quite a bit bigger than I imagined, about twice the size of a tampon when folded down according to the instructions, and when I tried it for the first time yesterday, it hurt so much that I gave up. It took a conversation with Applecow, who asked me about it today, to make me firm up my resolve to purchase some water-based lubricant from the pharmacy, however embarrassing this idea may have seemed. And that seemed to do the trick, as I finally got it to work just now. it was much easier than I imagined, and entirely liberating!

4 Comments:

Blogger bluebabe said...

Cool! I know the salted tempeh still can't bring herself to use it...I'll pass her the lubricant hint! It took me a couple of weeks to get the hang of it, but it's super great for travelling with, and going for expeditions. I finally stopped taking hormone pills for the last Surin trip, and that was a great relief.

8:45 AM  
Blogger juanicths said...

OMG~~~ twice the size of a tampon?! Tho it DOES sound promising and a whole lot greener.. Isit only available through internet order?

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Applecow said...

YAY! glad it worked out for you. Now I can't wait for mine to arrive in the mail. It's great cos you can wear it while sleeping even. I've also sewn some cloth pads but I can't bring myself to use them yet. Don't want to stain the pretty patterns.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home