Sunday, April 22, 2007

What's in a guitar?

One of the things I've been wanting to get, but never had the resolution to do so is a better instrument. Somehow other things always ended up coming up first. Currently experiences and opportunities seem to rate more important than the instrument itself, which can always be bought later, when I can afford to budget higher, meaning better instruments. But people also say that the instrument influences your playing. And then again, you never know when the perfect guitar is going to find you...

But what is the perfect guitar? Been trying out some guitars, via my teacher, who has been quite helpful after he found out that I was on the lookout for one. Most sounded quite nice, but I really liked the clarity of the Kohno, a 1970 model 30 I tried on friday. The first burst of sound (such effortless power!) under my fingertips caused a minor visceral wrench, compared to the lukewarm response to the other excellent guitars I've tried, even my teacher's tons more expensive guitar. At $6500, it's probably as cheap as any of the entry level, proper handmade concert guitars he's been urging me to get.

It's early days yet though. Plus I really can't afford it now, having decided to go overseas to study. Not to mention Germany and Europe up in the horizon as well. I console myself that there's plenty of time to try out other guitars, and at the same time develop my sensitivity to the differences in tone and sustain. I haven't tried that many guitars after all, and it seems like every time I try a new instrument I realise something new to look out for.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home